Surprise – Lungs Make Blood, Too – Newsmax
Scientists at the University of California San Francisco have discovered a new function of lungs: They make blood which leads to a new wellspring of stem cells as well.
The astonishing breakthrough comes courtesy of refinement to microscopic video imaging that allows researchers to probe individual cells within blood vessels of a living host’s lungs in this case, mice lungs.
The findings have far-reaching implications for human study: Researchers were surprised to find that not only did the lungs produce more blood cells, they did so in volumes that indicated more than half of all platelets in circulation critical for clotting are produced by the lungs.
The significance for the blood stem cells also was compelling. The newly discovered pool of stem cells is capable of restoring blood production when bone marrow stem cells are depleted. This could lead to novel approaches to treating leukemia, a cancer of white blood cells that crowds out red blood cells, and bone cancer, which destroys the body’s ability to manufacture red blood cells.
This finding definitely suggests a more sophisticated view of the lungs that theyre not just for respiration but also a key partner in formation of crucial aspects of the blood, said pulmonologist Mark R. Looney, a professor of medicine and of laboratory medicine at the University of California, and the research’s senior author. What weve observed here in mice strongly suggests the lung may play a key role in blood formation in humans as well. The report was published online at Nature.com.
The new imaging approach allowed scientists to examine interactions between the immune system and platelets in the lungs. While following the interactions, they discovered a surprisingly large population of cells that produce platelets called megakaryocytes. Though these cells were observed in the lungs previously it was generally though that they exist primarily in bone marrow.
Researchers were baffled and more detailed imaging followed. Once they zeroed in on these cells, they soon realized that they not only took up residence in the lungs, they also were producing 10 million platelets per hour there evidence that more than half of platelet production actually occurs in the lungs (in the mice models).
To be able to track blood stem cells and blood production, researchers transplanted donor lungs to mice with fluorescent-dye-tinted megakaryocytes. They followed the fluorescent cells as they traveled to the new lungs.
In another experiment, scientists wanted to determine if lungs that already had these platelet producers imbedded would spur platelet production in mice with low platelet counts, so they transplanted lungs with fluorescent-tinted megakaryocytes into mice predetermined to have low platelet counts. The transplanted lungs quickly sprung into action and restored normal platelet levels.
In yet another experiment, researchers transplanted healthy lungs with all cells fluorescently tinted into mice without bone marrow blood stem cells. The fluorescent marker cells quickly traveled to the damaged bone marrow and began production of myriad cells including T cells, which are key immune cells.
The exact mechanism behind the bone marrow-lung blood production is not yet known. Its possible that the lung is an ideal bioreactor for platelet production because of the mechanical force of the blood, or perhaps because of some molecular signaling we dont yet know about, said Guadalupe Ortiz-Muoz, a postdoctoral researcher and the researchs co-author. But more research is sure to follow.
Now medical scientists and researchers can zero in on proving in human models that blood components stem cells key among them travel more freely than previously though, which could lead ultimately to advances in treatment options for various blood disorders.
2017 NewsmaxHealth. All rights reserved.
The rest is here:
Surprise – Lungs Make Blood, Too – Newsmax
- Transparent bones enable researchers to observe the stem cells inside - Medical Xpress - April 27th, 2017
- Surprising new role for lungs: Making blood - University of California - April 27th, 2017
- Groundbreaking stem cell study kicks off in Northwest Florida - WEAR - April 27th, 2017
- Two weeks after his transplant, Jonathan Pitre battles kidney complications - Ottawa Citizen - April 27th, 2017
- Are baby, wisdom teeth the next wave in stem cell treatment? - CNN - April 26th, 2017
- Bare bones: Making bones transparent - Science Daily - April 26th, 2017
- Tough time: Jonathan Pitre battles kidney complications - Ottawa Sun - April 26th, 2017
- Bone marrow drive for Allums siblings at ULM, other locations - Monroe News Star - April 26th, 2017
- Bone marrow drive set for local youth - Perry County Republic Monitor - April 26th, 2017
- TGF-/MAPK signaling mediates the effects of bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells on urinary control and interstitial ... - UroToday - April 26th, 2017
- Perryville family organizing bone-marrow drive Friday for ailing 6-year-old boy - Southeast Missourian - April 25th, 2017
- SUPERHUMANS: Mars 'will be colonised by genetically engineered Star Trek-style beings' - Express.co.uk - April 25th, 2017
- Duluth woman meets the German donor whose stem cells saved her ... - WDAZ - April 24th, 2017
- Treating Cerebral Palsy With UCB Stem Cells - Financial Tribune - April 24th, 2017
- 'It's amazing!' Student discovers he's a potential life-saving bone marrow match - Lincolnshire Echo - April 23rd, 2017
- Bailiff dad who reached fame on Channel 5's Can't Pay? We'll Take It Away! gets 'death sentence' diagnosis - Mirror.co.uk - April 23rd, 2017
- Fight For Shea: Brockport man dedicates bout to DuBois girl with leukemia - The Courier-Express - April 23rd, 2017
- Duluth woman meets the German donor whose stem cells saved her life - WDAY - April 23rd, 2017
- Multiple Sclerosis patient successfully treated with bone marrow transplant - Business Standard - April 21st, 2017
- Lungs Don't Just Help Us Breathe They Produce Blood, Too - DOGOnews - April 21st, 2017
- Chronic Myeloproliferative Neoplasms Treatment (Fact Sheet) - Oncology Nurse Advisor - April 20th, 2017
- David Steenblock, D.O., Uses Stem Cells and Other Therapies for Stroke Patients - GlobeNewswire (press release) - April 20th, 2017
- 8-year-old patient surprises her bone marrow donor at their first ... - The Straits Times - April 20th, 2017
- Automatically Observing Stem Cell Differentiation - Asian Scientist Magazine - April 20th, 2017
- Husaini trust plans to perform bone marrow transplants, stem cell therapy - The News International - April 20th, 2017
- First participant treated in trial of stem-cell therapy for heart failure - Medical Xpress - April 18th, 2017
- Ensure Medicare Access to Blood and Marrow Transplants for Seniors with Cancer - Morning Consult - April 17th, 2017
- Bone Marrow Drive & Fundraiser To Support Sarina Vito, 18, Battling Leukemia - Long Island Press - April 17th, 2017
- Billings Clinic accredited for using stem cell method to 'successfully treat' a rare cancer - Billings Gazette - April 17th, 2017
- N.Y. bowler rolls on following bone marrow transplant - USA TODAY High School Sports - April 17th, 2017
- Cheyenne's Day of Giving provides an opportunity to save a life - Wyoming Business Report - April 17th, 2017
- UW Treats First Participant in Trial of Stem-Cell Therapy for Heart Failure - University of Wisconsin-Madison - April 17th, 2017
- DKMS Creates Celebrity Driven #Castingforahero Campaign - Yahoo Finance - April 17th, 2017
- Andrews Institute to study stem cells' impact on knee - Pensacola News Journal - April 16th, 2017
- Stem Cell Research Advancing Rapidly - Healthline - April 16th, 2017
- New hope with haplo-identical bone marrow transplant - Star2.com - April 15th, 2017
- Theraputic Stem Cell-Sheet Transplantation May Improve ... - The Cardiology Advisor (registration) - April 14th, 2017
- How inkjet printers help transform stem cells - Futurity: Research News - April 13th, 2017
- EDITORIAL: Donating bone marrow saves lives, students should consider becoming a match - Central Michigan Life - April 13th, 2017
- Jonathan Pitre 'anxious' as he readies for his second transplant Thursday - Ottawa Sun - April 13th, 2017
- VWCC to host bone marrow donor drive April 19 - Roanoke Times - April 13th, 2017
- Graphene, electricity used to change stem cells for nerve regrowth ... - Science Daily - April 11th, 2017
- Cells Essential for 'Birth' of Blood Stem Cells Revealed - Technology Networks - April 11th, 2017
- First bone marrow stem cell transplantations performed in Armenia - Armenpress.am - April 11th, 2017
- Innovative Process for Differentiating Stem Cells into Schwann-Like Cells - AZoNano - April 11th, 2017
- Understanding Multiple Myeloma - Caswell Messenger - April 11th, 2017
- Stem Cell-Sheet Transplantation Possible for Heart Failure - Renal and Urology News - April 10th, 2017
- Clinician-Researcher to Lead New Bone Marrow Transplantation Initiative - Newswise (press release) - April 10th, 2017
- Time-lapse video reveals cells essential for 'birth' of blood stem cells - Science Daily - April 10th, 2017
- Daughter seeks bone marrow match for her dad - Quad-Cities Online - April 9th, 2017
- Local woman heads to Mexico - News - seacoastonline.com ... - Seacoastonline.com - April 9th, 2017
- Bone Marrow Registration Drive to be held at UP Health System Marquette - UpperMichigansSource.com - April 9th, 2017
- Stem cells: Single-use bioreactors and microcarriers can overcome scale-up issues, experts - BioPharma-Reporter.com - April 8th, 2017
- Stem cell donor registry drive seeks to help retired Brookline teacher - NewHampshire.com - April 8th, 2017
- Experimental Stem Cell Treatment Might Reverse Symptoms Of Multiple Sclerosis - CBS New York - April 7th, 2017
- Can Stem Cell 'Patch' Help Heart Failure? - Everyday Health (blog) - April 7th, 2017
- Spherical biodegradable carriers support scalable and cost-effective stem cell expansion and bone formation - Medical Xpress - April 7th, 2017
- Jonathan Pitre 'strong' as he endures first days of chemo - Ottawa Citizen - April 7th, 2017
- Girl still in need of bone marrow match - Temple Daily Telegram - April 7th, 2017
- Lungs of mice found to produce blood - The Manitoban - April 5th, 2017
- New technique helps researchers determine how stem cells differentiate - Phys.Org - April 5th, 2017
- Stem Cells Show Promise For Treating Autism - Disability Scoop - April 5th, 2017
- Stem-cell therapy is poised to disrupt the Tommy John epidemic in baseball - Quartz - April 5th, 2017
- Stem Cell Transplant Making Rapid Progress - Financial Tribune - April 5th, 2017
- Three Bangladeshi patients undergo stem cell therapy in Mumbai - India Today - April 4th, 2017
- Bone Marrow Registration Drive to be held at UP Health System - UPMatters.com - April 4th, 2017
- Stem cell treatment begins for dystrophy patients from Bangladesh - Daily News & Analysis - April 4th, 2017
- Lorena: Residents support teacher who needs bone marrow transplant - KWTX - April 4th, 2017
- Northern Colorado Surgeon Releases Three Year Results of Bone Marrow Stem Cell Treatment - PR Web (press release) - April 4th, 2017
- Hematopoietic stem cell - Wikipedia - April 4th, 2017
- Stem cells could be used to create 'endless supply of blood' - BioNews - April 4th, 2017
- Benefit dinner will help family of baby girl recovering from bone marrow transplant - CTV News - April 1st, 2017
- If Young Blood Can Combat Aging, It May Be Thanks to Just One Protein - Futurism - April 1st, 2017
- Exclusive: 'Dancing With the Stars' pro Maksim Chmerkovskiy speaks out about injury - ABC News - April 1st, 2017
- I'm a woman of color with cancer. Here's why I can't find a bone ... - KUOW News and Information - April 1st, 2017
- Some restoration drama at the Big A as Dodgers top Angels, 3-1 - Los Angeles Times - April 1st, 2017
- Time To Improve Transplant Access for Seniors with Blood Cancers - MedPage Today - April 1st, 2017
- Bone marrow or stem cell transplants for ALL | Cancer ... - March 31st, 2017
- Hillsdale grad looks for medical help in Mexico, local support to get there - Richland Source - March 31st, 2017
- Why mixed-race minorities struggle to find life-saving transplant matches - SBS - March 31st, 2017